Steven Mosher says:
October 14, 2013 at 7:56 am
“NO! Global warming has stopped.”
not really. You will know it has stopped when sea level stops rising.
remember. The global temperature does not exist. It’s a construct or index comprised of averaging SST ( from the first meter) and Air tempererage over land. When you combine those two you really dont have a physical metric that makes sense, you have an index of sorts that you can track historically. You’ll know the planet has stopped warming when the sea level stops rising.
REPLY: Readers take note. This is the moment that Mr. Mosher has dropped the self imposed “lukewarmer” label, and is now a full fledged “warmist”. – Anthony
I wonder if the latest IPCC report is forcing the fake skeptics to speak up and say where they stand on the subject of climate change? Maybe some of them are shifting their position. Some of them, like Anthony Watts, are hardening their anti-science stance. Other deniers are allowing that maybe humans are causing global warming after all, but only a little bit.
Maybe we can do a chart, something like this. It's only two dimensional so only includes groups that accept the climate is changing. It doesn't have a category for no change in the climate - except slap bang in the middle (neither warming nor cooling).
- 1 and 2 would be the scientists and people who accept science. They attribute most or all global warming to human activities but have different ideas on how hot it's getting.
- 3 would be normal deniers who accept that humans are having some effect although they don't accept science. They try to claim that a fair proportion of the change is "natural". They don't accept that earth is heating up very much.
- 4 and 5 also think that humans are having some effect but not as much as those in group 3. Some of them (5) think the earth is cooling while some (6) agree it's warming a little bit.
- 6 are people who think that it's "all natural" and we're heading for an ice age.
I don't know of anyone who'd fit in group 7 or 8.
- 7 would include anyone who thinks the world is getting very hot but it's got nothing to do with human activity.
- 8 would be anyone who thinks all climate change is human-caused but think the world is heading for an ice age.
Steven Mosher, Judith Curry and various other "lukewarmers" are probably around group 2 or maybe edging toward group 3.