While the Trump farce is entertaining, shocking and scaring people in the USA and around the world, there have been some important achievements on the climate front, not all of them reasons for celebration.
Here are some of them:
- The ParisAgreement - On 5 October 2016, the threshold for entry into force of the Paris Agreement was achieved. The Paris Agreement will enter into force on 4 November 2016.
- HFC phase down - There is a global agreement to phase down hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) which will have a big impact on the rate of warming this century.
- Reducing aviation emissions - The International Civil Aviation Authority (ICAO) CORSIA resolution — Carbon Offset and Reduction Scheme for International Aviation — will cap aviation emissions at 2020 levels by 2027.
- BP won't explore the Great Australian Bight - Under the previous Labor Government, then Minister Martin Ferguson did a deal with BP to explore the pristine Great Australian Bight. BP has now said it won't be doing that, for cost reasons.
- Never again below 400 ppm - with the latest CO2 levels in the atmosphere at the lowest time of the year, it's clear that never again for a very long time will the atmosphere have less than 400 ppm CO2.